Sunday, December 3, 2017

Reading too much...

Finally December is here. As always, I like to go over the entire year through my diaries and note the most important events. This year, in addition to events, I am also going through my books, the books that I have bought and actually read. It has been easier this year ,as most of the books are ebooks. (Whatever paper books I have bought, I haven't even touched any of those.)

I bought my kindle in February. I was buying on an average 6-8 books, many free books and cheaper books which were on sale. But something happened in September which made these figures rise exponentially. In September, I discovered booktube !

There are several good channels on youtube ,which discuss books,there is something for everyone there. I discovered booktube and based on those recommendations I bought several books (I am embarrassed to reveal actual figure though, I have bought simply too many books in last 3 months!) I am happy that most of the books have been fantastic reads.

Booktube recommended reading has suddenly turned my reading tastes in completely opposite direction. I was totally into nonfiction a few months back, now I read only fiction. I have discovered several new authors and a new genre which I never thought I would enjoy .... science fiction/fantasy. (I always thought fantasy was for kids ...) I discovered some really fantastic adult fantasy books, set in some very intelligent and creative worlds.
Over the years, I thought I had lost capacity to read chunky books ,but I am regaining that slowly. My reading speed was always good ,but I used to succumb to temptations of social media very easily. Happily, now ,my books are more appealing to me than any other thing. I have been reading 10-12 books per month since September , which I think is very good...

Now, all is not hunky-dory. There are a few side effects,too. Apart from spending a lot of money over books, I feel ,I have withdrawn from the real world. I actually prefer reading to conversations. If I am at a particularly interesting point in the plot, I neglect everything else,especially boring housework (and exercise...) My work related reading has decreased considerably. I have lost interest in writing and music. I also feel eye fatigue very often.( I know, I am behaving like an extremist…)

I hope that this reading frenzy is just a temporary phase of my reading and everything will settle soon, hopefully this month.I was not aware of how crazily I was buying and reading ,till I looked through my diary today. Now that I have noticed,I plan to read less this month,(I finished the first book of the month yesterday, which is Robin Hobb’s 'Assassin’s apprentice', first book in a very long high fantasy series.I have started a new book today, Paul Auster's 'The NewYork Trilogy'.I will read this slowly over a week. I have heard ,that ,this is not an easy read,so it sounds perfect for me right now.)I have decided a budget and number of books that I am permitted to buy this month and I will strictly follow the rule. I will also read for only an hour or two daily.

I always thought that paradise means a place full of books. My idea of relaxation and vacation is reading without getting disturbed . But as in everything, balance is necessary.Too much of anything is detrimental to health,even books...

No comments:

Post a Comment