Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Buying books

Buying books

I am excited, the books by weight sale is coming back ...so I heard ! They are coming to Churchgate, which is manageable if not closeby.

I speak of my plans to go there next week . My colleague asks me , “ But have you finished the books you bought last time ?”

No, I haven't...in fact I haven't read even a single book ( may be just one...May Sarton’s A reckoning). And my son has read one… still I want to buy more ? Greed ?

I think over it and realise that I don't really buy books only for reading. I buy them to feel good, to surround myself by their comforting presence. The same reason as carrying a book with me at work , even though I do not get time to read it at all. Just as a support to get through the tedious day. I look at them and feel happy, they exist as possibilities in my home and in my mind. I buy them and then buy some more and even more. At the end of it , I read something entirely different. Probably they are my investment for old age , when I no longer earn but still need support of a good book to get through the day…. or life...

A little huge nest egg...nothing else !!

2 comments:

  1. Same thoughts about books here too. There's nothing more I love than books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same thoughts about books here too. There's nothing more I love than books.

    ReplyDelete