Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Fantasy reading...continued...

Continuing my fantasy reading… some stray thoughts , as usual ….

Writing a good fantasy must be more difficult than writing a literary fiction. In addition to having a good story and characters, you have to invent a whole new world ,  strange magical rules that govern the world and even stranger names for the characters. They also introduce the world and characters in such way that it seems totally natural and flows into the story seamlessly.

The name of the wind is doing that perfectly. I haven’t understood all the rules till now , but I still think I have. At least enough to say I am enjoying reading…

But it is intense and tiring as well , Kvothe gets into so many troubles , you feel the world is not fair or kind. Still, can't complain, especially when he or his listeners are not complaining .

This book is 50% done now and I think I will take another 2-3 days to finish it. I will probably need a lighter , happy book to help me through this book.

A unique thing about magic in this world is you are not born with any special abilities to learn it. Anybody who gets opportunity and is willing to pay and work hard can become a magician (arcanist as called in this book.)

I love the theme of music running through this book, it is as if I can hear it. It calls to me at an unexpected level. I wish Kvothe would become a musician rather than an arcanist.

A little hard to believe fact is Kvothe’s 'master of all' personality. No one could be that gifted in my opinion. A first person narrator of any book starts looking like a braggart soon and Kvothe is no exception. I think I like third person narratives better , but then it is obviously not my choice to make…

As a break, have started on Ruth Hogan’s ‘The keeper of lost things’. This is advertised as the feel good book of 2017. Hope it makes me feel good too….

No comments:

Post a Comment